Writing Assignment #1
Facts: You are a new Staff Accountant at a mid-size CPA firm. Your direct Manager has asked you to prepare a short memo discussing Disciplinary Actions/License Restrictions of some particular CPAs. Please follow our firm’s format, as provided below.
Your paper should be double spaced; 12 font; Time New Roman font and 2-2.5 pages double spaced. Don’t worry if the Rules section causes you paper to be over 2.5 pages. Remember this is a memorandum to a Manager level CPA, so the tone should fit accordingly.
1. At the bottom of this document there is a list of CPAs disciplined by the California Board of Accountancy. I have assigned each student a specific person. (YOU WILL BE DOING RICHARD BLECKER)
2. Use this link to find your assigned CPA. Use the search function in the link. Once you go to the website, you must click on “Clear” before you enter the CPA’S name.
3. From the link attached click on the Related Documents: Accusation and Decision. I provided this link as an example Accusation and Decision
4. Use your CPA’s Accusation and Decision to complete the assignment.
5. Please submit your assignment by Saturday August 29, 2020 at 11:59PM.
TO: Jerry Schnaus
FROM: Use your name
DATE: December 1, 2020
Good morning Mr./Mrs.:
Provide a brief fact summary of the cause of discipline. In a couple of paragraphs provide me a detail of the actions taken by the CPA promulgating such discipline.
List all the actions the CBA took. Provided the exact actions taken against the CPA.
List the violations the CPA was charged with and a brief description of the law that was violated. These will be the laws and regulations the CPA violated. List the Section of the statute and the actual statute.
Example: Section5063 of the Code states:
(a) A licensee shall report to the board in writing of the occurrence of any of the following events occurring on or after January 1, 1997, within 30 days of the date the licensee has knowledge of these events: ·
(1) The conviction of the licensee of any of the following:
(A) A felony or (B) Any crime related to the qualifications, functions, or duties of a public accountant or certified public accountant, or to acts or activities in the course and scope of the practice of public accountancy.
What do you think is the reason the laws the CPA violated are in place? This needs to be analytical. Let me know how the laws better society.
What would you do differently? Limit this response to a paragraph.